Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday

Happy Fat Tuesday! While some places like New Orleans celebrates this day with beads and King Cakes, here in SE Michigan we celebrate with paczki. Today Joe and I purchased (pre-ordered so as not to miss out on the awesomeness) four paczki from Zingerman's - rose hip, chocolate pudding, ricotta, and raspberry. We're saving the chocolate pudding for dessert tonight, but I can safely say that the other three were delicious. The rose hip was the most interesting and the raspberry reminded me most of childhood. This was Joe's first year trying paczki since last year I was in NYC on Fat Tuesday and he made his way to Zingerman's after they were all sold out. Tragic that Joe grew up without paczki in his life, isn't it!? I still remember being shocked when I was living in D.C. and nobody had ever even heard of paczki. Good thing Tripp will grow up having a special breakfast of paczki every year on this day. :) Next year when it's time for Tripp's first paczki we might have to make our way down to Hamtramck so that he can have one from an authentic Polish bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment