Monday, February 27, 2012

The Barber's Chair

Even though breastfeeding has been a sad failure, I still want the little guy to have as much of the good stuff as possible. Therefore I pump milk 6-7 times a day. I planned to continue this once I started back at work and so far I’m still going. I almost never take a lunch break so honestly, it’s a great excuse to take a ten minute break three times a day. When I arrived at the client site the first day, I asked a manager from my company where I could find a private room. That led to me talking to the client HR who sent me to the medical center. At the medical center, the old, battleaxe nurse told me that I was SOL and to just use the bathroom. I was ready to explain health care law to her, but instead just went back to my company’s manager. She then went to the facilities guys and within a couple of days I had a private room. Our theory is that going to the men was so effective because they wanted to hear the words “breastfeeding” and “lactation” as few times as possible. J I think it also helped that I brought them some of those red velvet cheesecake brownies as a thank you treat.

Still with me? Here’s how the barber’s chair comes into play. The room that the facilities guys set up for me was being used to store hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of batteries. Before that though, the room was a barbershop, complete with a 1970s style barber’s chair. As you can see below it is olive green and looks like it’s from the set of Gran Torino. I laughed when I first saw it, but it is honestly one of the most comfortable chairs I have ever sat in. I’m quite pleased with my new lactation room and old barber’s chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment