Thursday, April 28, 2011

NYC Restaurant Finds

One of the things I love about New York is that you can never run out of new places to eat. Sometimes I find it overwhelming because I want to try them all! There are also so many places that look totally unassuming, but when you walk in are actually very charming and have great food. This week I've stumbled upon two such places.

The first is an Italian restaurant called San Martin Restaurant. It's right around the corner from my hotel on 49th between Lexington and 3rd Ave. This is one of those places that is darkly lit, has clearly been there for years, and has photos on the wall of every somewhat-famous person who has ever eaten there. The decor probably hasn't been updated since the 70s, but that is part of the charm of a place like this. The food is simple, authentic, and delicious. Both times I've been I've ordered the Capellini al Pomodoro. It's a very simple dish of perfectly cooked al dente pasta, fresh tomatoes, basil, and lots and lots of garlic. I consider basic Italian dishes where each ingredient shines to be the ultimate in comfort food and this capellini dish is just that. That being said, the first time I went a friend joined me and ordered cheese ravioli with mushrooms and walnut cream sauce. He shared a bite with me, and it was rich and creamy, but I still prefer my simple capellini.

My other find this week was a restaurant in Queens called LIC Market. I've walked by it before, but since it's situated under a balcony and between two staircases I never really noticed it until today. I knew the minute I walked in that it was my kind of place. The decor was rustic/shabby-chic and I felt more like I was in the South than in NYC. They had shelves of assorted pickled vegetables and a handwritten menu board with fresh, seasonal vegetables. Any restaurant that has a focus on seasonal, local ingredients is my kind of place. Today I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with muenster-like cheese, apple, endive, honey-Dijon mustard and a drizzle of truffle oil. I also had a side of broccolini with lemon and Parmesan. I'll definitely be going back for future lunches and possibly for breakfast to try their daily frittata specials!

No comments:

Post a Comment