Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!

With today being Pi Day and all, I thought I'd write about some amazing pie I had recently. I haven't had much time to bake pies recently, but the pie I had this past weekend was better than anything I've ever baked. These amazing pies came from Love's Custard Pie stand in Detroit's Eastern Market. Joe and I had seen Love's featured on a recent episode of Bizarre Foods that featured Detroit. Since we spent this past Friday night in Detroit, we made a beeline to Eastern Market on Saturday morning and found Love's stand right away. We sampled and purchased the chess pie and the navy bean pie. Both were amazing. The chess pie was probably my favorite pie I've ever had (better than the chess pies I've made and even better than the chess pie we had at our wedding). The owner, who is from Mississippi, asked how it compared to South Carolina chess pies and I told him that this Mississippi version was sweeter and creamier than anything I've had before. The navy bean pie was also really good, and very unique. The bean puree texture was slightly gritty and the spices were similar to those of a pumpkin pie. I can't wait for our next Eastern Market visit so that we can get some more of Love's pies!


Photo courtesy of Love's Custard Pie

Another wonderful "pie" experience from this past weekend was the pizza pie we had at Supino Pizzeria in Detroit. Supino is located just outside of Eastern Market and was recently featured on both Bizarre Foods and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Joe and I shared a Bismarck which was topped with mozzarella, prosciutto, and an egg and a Supino which was topped with roasted garlic, black olives, chili oil, ricotta, and mozzarella. Both pizzas were fantastic and we can't wait to go back and try more kinds. We ended the meal by ordering two house-made cannolis. I am very picky about cannolis and am usually disappointed, but this one was authentic and perfect. The shell was fresh and crisp and the filling was perfectly smooth with a powdered sugar taste.

Overall, it was a yummy, pie-filled weekend in Detroit!

No comments:

Post a Comment