Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Weekend Recap

This past weekend Joe and I went to Chicago to visit friends and attend our friend Erin's MBA graduation ceremony. Congratulations, Erin!


On our way to Chicago we made a little detour and stopped in Holland, MI for the last day of the annual tulip festival. I hadn't been to Holland since I was a kid and Joe had never been at all so I was pretty insistent that we turn our 4.5 hour drive into a 5.5 hour drive to see the tulips. It was worth the extra time in the car because the weather was warm and sunny, the tulips were beautiful, and the town was as quaint and charming as I remembered it to be. We walked around the town square looking at all the tulip varieties, visited a few specialty shops downtown and then got back on the road.

By the time we reached Chicago the weather had dropped by 20 degrees and the rain had started. We had planned to meet a friend at a wine bar, but when we found out that was closed, we wound up at down the block at a place called Molly's Cupcakes. I'm so glad we stumbled on this place! Molly's is decorated in a schoolhouse theme and has amazing cupcakes. Joe and I shared a strawberry shortcake cupcake that satisfied a craving I didn't even know I had. I've since found out that Molly's mission is to support local schools and they donate a part of their profits to schools in the community.

Saturday morning we woke up early to fight the freezing wind and walk around Erin's neighborhood since the gym wasn't open early enough. My one criticism of her neighborhood is that nothing opens before 8am! For two people who are usually up in the 6 o'clock hour on weekends, we want to workout and have our coffee and tea early. I do realize that we are the exception though. Anyways, Saturday morning was the graduation ceremony and then we headed to brunch with Erin and her parents at Uncommon Ground. I really liked the look and feel of the place, but I was a little disappointed in what I ordered. I shared granola french toast and mac and cheese with Erin, neither of which were very memorable. Joe on the other hand ordered chilaquiles which I thought were really good. We finished up Saturday by having dinner at Adobo Grill in Old Town with a U of M friend and then headed back to Ann Arbor early Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment