Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Good Eats


This past weekend we reached a major milestone in the world of babyhood; Tripp ate his first solid food! I’ve felt for about a month now that he was ready for solids, but our doctor advised waiting until 6 months. Well, one week shy of 6 months I decided to go ahead and let him try some food and it was a great success. I decided months ago that avocado would be his first food. Full of healthy fats, vitamins, and easy for him to “chew”. I’ve done a lot of reading about first foods and I am not of the school that believes rice cereal is a necessary introduction to the culinary world. Why feed a baby something that is bland and full of empty calories when you can feed them something tasty and nutrient-packed? So anyways, I gave him a teaspoon full of avocado on Saturday and two on Sunday. Both times he eagerly grabbed at my hand to bring to food to his mouth faster and I was totally impressed that he immediately knew how to make a chewing motion. Considering how much trouble he had nursing and bottle feeding, I am very relieved to see that, at least so far, eating won’t be nearly as challenging. On Monday Joe and I had sweet potatoes with dinner so I fed little man some and he loved that just as much as the avocado. Next on the list will probably be oatmeal.

In related news, Tripp has his first tooth! It broke through last Monday night. I think he has another one on the way. Teething has not been pleasant for any of us – the poor guy seems like he’s in lots of pain. Feeding him some solids has actually been a good distraction to keep his mouth busy in between bottles.

In non-baby news, but still on the topic of food, I went with some friends to a delicious Indian lunch on Sunday. We tried Neehee’s in Canton and it was ah-mazing. It’s Indian street food and even though I can’t pronounce anything on the menu I can’t wait to go back again soon. I think the Papdi Chaat was my favorite item we tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment