Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Social Eatz

While Angelo Sosa was not my favorite on Top Chef due to his personality, I did think he came across as a passionate chef. His talent added a lot to the competition. Since Social Eatz is conveniently located one subway stop away from work, and because I like to leave my desk at lunchtime, I headed over there last week for lunch. I tried the Imperial Hot Dog – made from organic chicken with sweet and sour relish. And yes, I know that just because the chicken was organic does not mean that this was by any means a healthy lunch option, but it sounded like the most appealing menu option at the time. I liked the "hot dog" itself and the dipping sauce it came with but the relish was disappointing in that it was neither sweet nor spicy, just bland. I ordered a side of the pickled vegetables and loved them. The dish reminded me of kimchi without quite as much punch. The spice was slow to build, but by the end my mouth was pleasantly burning. I was amused by the fact that all of the waiters were dressed just like Angelo – who I could see in the back – thin, cotton, vneck tshirts and skinny jeans. My meal at Social Eatz didn’t blow me away, but for a flavorful fast-casual lunch in Manhattan it was worth the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment